Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Seville: Camera no obscura anymore!

And... it's working!!!

I didn't hold out much hope, since the camera shop in the middle of Barrio de Santa Cruz was the size of my bathroom back home. But there were enough innards of cameras in the shop that he must have known what he was doing. It turned that corrosion from water -- most likely from the Dead Sea a few trips back -- had destroyed the electric connections on the inside of the backplate. Somehow, he managed to come up with a spare Canon 20D back and got it working. I was shocked! It's not much to see, but here's a picture of the old back. If you squint you can see corrosion about the small hole at the bottom.

The only drawback was the cost -- 92 euros (about $140). But at that point I had to pay. I guess that's the cost for next day service. Must be parts, labor, and the weak dollar at work. At least, though, I have a camera that works.

4 comments:

  1. There is a great vegetarian place on La Rambla in Barcelona. Busy, good food, reasonable prices. Orded and eat standing up.
    Nitin your Spanish must have improved. Is Sudha speaking Spanish too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are going there today for either lunch or dinner.

    My Spanish is just Hola and Gracias.Nitin´s Spanish seems good. He was able to have a reasonably good conversation with the taxi driver. He has been able to get me vegetarian food - also Barcelona is more veggie friendly than Seville. I also saw several Indian and Pakistani restaurants in our short walk for dinner last night.

    Sudha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sudha later told me that the phrase she was looking for was that her Spanish was "limited". I found that both ironic and amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nitin, Nitin, Nitin... What the heck are you doing with a 20D still? That thing is a dinosaur! =)

    ReplyDelete