Along the way today we made a few stops that got a glimpse of local life. We first visited a betelnut farm. The leaves were winding about bamboo poles in a wooden greenhouse. The locals chew the betelnut and it stains their teeth red. You can see the stains all over the ground where they spit out. From the guide books, I expected it to be more prevalent, though.
We also visited a blanket factory -- just a small horse with a couple of rooms really. They do it all without machines using a wooden loom. The blanket were big but not especially fine so I didn't get one.
The final such stop was a slipper factory -- really these were flipflops. They used cow and oxen hide and rubber. I bought a velvety one for about five dollars. I bought the second largest size and had to pay extra for the larger size!



No comments:
Post a Comment