Today was one last day in civilization before we head out to the countryside. Even if one might consider Ulaanbaatar off the beaten path, everything we've heard says that it'll be rougher out there. So we're heading out expecting minimal conditions and hope for better. We won't have paved roads for much of the trip!
Yesterday, I met up with Kathy and the rest of the Explore tour group. There are thirteen of us, four Americans, three Aussies, and seven Brits. Only three guys though. We were told pickpocketing is rife here, and it was quickly evident when one lady had her wallet swiped. We were even told that there are muggings, but we should be safe in a group.
Today, we got a tour of the main square, named after a famous general. I saw a guy selling pictures there for the second time. We met one more time after dinner. It's kinda amusing as we both recognize each other and actually talk. It's nice that they're not pushy. If I see him when I return to Ulaanbaatar, I'll succumb and buy something from him.
We went to the Natural History Museum. It was badly in need of renovation, but the highlights were the dinosaur fossils and eggs. Lots of dinosaur stuff had been found in the Gobi Desert. This museum and the American Natural History Museum are the best places to see Mongolian dinosaurs.
In the afternoon, we went to Bogd Khan's Palace. There were some nice bits -- Mongolia's Versailles, by a stretch. But the grounds really need some upkeep as well as some of the buildings. Oh, here's a picture of Kathy frightened by a door painting.
We drove up to a vista to see Ulaanbaatar from atop. It's a nice location in a valley, but you see construction everywhere, the evidence of urban sprawl.
We went to a cultural show which was better than most. They had wonderful throat singers (think of Feynman) and an amazing contortionist. The folk singers and musicians were good, too.
Dinner was at a Korean restaurant. So far I've had Cuban-American, Indian, sandwiches, and Korean. I guess we'll see Mongolian food in the countryside... Today's meal was treated by the local guide because it's Nadaam, the local Olympics, so to speak. More about that later in the trip...
Okay, I'm fading now and I fear my post won't be too scintillating (though are they ever...?) if I continue. So good night. You'll hear from me again after my stint in the country.


No comments:
Post a Comment