I negotiated a crowded subway at rush hour and came out amidst a protest near the prime minister's house against the reopening of a nuclear plant. Many Japanese are still sensitive after last year's tsunami/earthquake/nuclear incidents. There were tons of police but eventually I got routed to Ema's office building.
I was so excited to find it that I didn't notice that the there was solid glass where I thought it was open. I went right into it hard. I discovered that I was bleeding. At that point I ran into Ema (not literally this time...). After a trip to the bathroom, I discovered I had a healthy gash at my left eyebrow. We tried a clinic upstairs but it was closed. So we ended up going to a hospital emergency room. The wait wasn't too long. I was attended by three doctors initially. It was funny communicating between my poor Japanese and their slightly better English. But in the end it was determined that I needed stitches. The whole process took about an hour. Here are pics of me and the doctor. It cost about $250 but hopefully insurance will cover it -- I have some travel insurance too.
I was well enough to go to dinner with Ema, but no alcohol. I have a huge bandage on my forehead so you can imagine I'm getting some looks! Tomorrow we're off via the bullet train to the hot springs. Hopefully, no more mishaps!



Oh no... better get it looked at here to make sure the mark goes away
ReplyDeleteI'm perfectly fine now. The stitches came out last Friday and the scar is perfectly hidden under my eyebrow. The injury never pained or bothered me ever -- I think it just looked scarier to others!
ReplyDeleteGood stories make great travel souvenirs!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're well!