Since we're waiting for our flight from KK to Singapore to board, I can relate a few anecdotes about Kapalai.
I snorkeled a few times there. Apart from some relatively big fish and coronets, there really wasn't anything extraordinary -- the divers saw all the really cool stuff. But one thing new was that I got attacked by a fish! It must have been very territorial. The first time, it bumped my fins. The next time I was out there, it actually bumped me in the mask! It wasn't a small fish -- maybe two feet in length -- so it did sting a bit. I think it might have been a grouper or something similar.
Kapalai was very international, too. We encountered people from Australia, England, France, Denmark, Turkey, Romania, China, Brazil, Japan (lots!), Germany, Sweden, America, the Philippines, and probably a few more. Impressive when you consider the place only had a capacity of 100 guests. I saw so many people reading the Economist.
If you're a diver, you have to come here. You could see mandarin fish, barracudas, sharks, lots of turtles, wrasses, lionfish, huge schools of fish, and much more. People did 13 dives in four days! I was tempted to get certified, but it would have been time to leave just as I completed the program. I much rather be the bum I was -- it was too nice not to be...
Now we're off to Singapore. One and a half days there and then I head home. I'm ready to get back, but I'm not looking forward to the "cold" -- I'll be going from 80-90F to 30-40F. Of course, I get little sympathy from those heading to Europe or Chicago. Still, it'll be cold. I gave away my walking shoes so I'll have to do the California faux pas of socks with sandals...
No comments:
Post a Comment