Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hello... from Iceland!

Yes, amazingly enough we are now in the mouth of the dragon so to speak. Since, Reykjavik is West of the volcano, the airspace over the airport is perfectly clear, ironicly enough. (The English must really hate Iceland -- first their banks failed and now the volcano spewed ash on them... leaving Iceland uneffected!). Since our flight through Frankfurt was cancelled, we didn't want to have anything more to do with Germany -- there was the risk of getting stuck there. So thus, Iceland.

Strangely enough, today (April 22) is the first day of summer in Iceland. At least that's what they said on the airplane -- I'm half wondering if they were pulling our leg. Then again, they did give us free ice cream. It's only a smidge above freezing; we actually saw snow flurries in Stockholm when we left! Summer... huh.

We actually got to see the volcano that caused all of this mess. It doesn't look too big from the sky, although then you see that plume of smoke poking out of the glacier. I'll include a photo or two from the camera phone, but I'll probably have better pics from the point and shoot.

In general, the view from the plane was amazing. You can see glaciers, tundra, craters, and lakes. It was like one of those flights for which you pay (then again I guess we are paying for the flight, but you know what I mean). Just from the sky, I want to come back. I imagine there will be some nice adventure trips here.

We're on the bus to our hotel right now. We have about 24 hours before our flight to Seattle, so we'll try to make the most of it. More pictures later, too.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT? You have a point-n-shoot now?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for this trip. I wanted to travel light, so I borrowed Sudha´s camera. It was a work trip, so I didn´t figure to do much sightseeing...

    ReplyDelete